Skip to content

One dead after camping mishap near Salmon Arm

A child was airlifted to hospital for treatment as well
0
Sandy Point Campground
One person died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning at the Sandy Point Campground this morning. (via Contributed)

One person is dead and a child has been airlifted to hospital after a tragic camping accident that was discovered Saturday morning. 

Police were called to the Sandy Point Campground, northwest of Salmon Arm, early Saturday morning after witnesses say a woman and her baby were found unresponsive inside a tent. 

"Upon arrival they located a deceased adult and youth suffering from what appears to be carbon monoxide poisoning," said Cpl. Chris Manseau of the RCMP. 

"It's been determined that it was likely a camp stove that was used inside a tent."

The child was airlifted to hospital for treatment, although the extent of the child's injuries is unknown at this time. 

Cpl. Manseau called the incident a "terrible tragedy," and said the death does not appear suspicious at this time. The B.C. Coroners Service is now investigating. 

– Darren Handschuh, Castanet




Comments