Kamloops Blazers fans are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items to the game against the Vancouver Giants on Friday, Feb. 8.
That’s because the Salvation Army is hosting its first-ever Valentine’s Day Food Drive.
Anyone who brings six or more donations will be entered to win a one-night stay at Sun Peaks Grand and a dinner for two.
The local Sally Ann has run its own food bank for nearly 100 years.
“We do not get any government funding, so we really rely on the communities that surround us,” says Tracey Thacker, the non-profit’s director of community services.
She adds the Salvation Army feeds and serves more than 1,500 people a month.
Thacker hopes to raise at least 3,000 pounds of food during the hockey game.
In addition to the grand prize, she says there are seven other prizes to give away:
- Second prize: The Coast Hotel and Conference Centre, enjoy one-night stay plus dinner for two at Romeo’s ($350 value)
- Third prize: Sandman Signature Kamloops Hotel, enjoy one-night stay plus dinner for two at Moxie's ($350 value)
- Fourth prize: Blazers game-worn signed jersey plus two ticket vouchers ($300 value)
- Fifth prize: Atlas Steak and Fish, dinner for two ($100 value)
- Sixth prize: Enigma Beyond Bliss pedicure for two ($100 value)
- Seventh prize: Earls dinner for two ($50 value)
- Eighth prize: EXIT real-life escape room adventure for two ($50 value)
“Our sponsors were amazing and very generous to support us. And because of that, we’re able to help others,” says Thacker.
If you bring 10 or more non-perishables, your name will be entered twice. The Salvation Army will have two donation locations set up at the game. Look for wine-sized barrels.